Skip to main content

Sub navigation

Bzzzzzz . . . Sting in the tail

How can I tell if my pet has been stung?

If you don’t actually witness the event, the typical signs that your pet has been stung include pain, redness and swelling. Even if your pet seems ok we would advise keeping an eye on them for the next 24 hours as an allergic reaction could develop, especially if there have been multiple stings. Allergic reactions could cause your pet to be sick, wobbly on their feet or they may even have trouble moving, they may even have breathing difficulties. If your pet exhibits any of these signs it is vital to contact us!

 Just how serious can it be?

It really depends on the type of insect and how the pet's reacts to the venom. Also bear in mind that the location of the sting may increase severity- stings to the back of the throat, mouth and neck may affect  breathing so if you are concerned that these areas are affected please make contact for further advice

Is there anything you can do?

Bees have a barbed stinger and will leave it embedded in your pet's skin once they have stung. This should be carefully removed. Scraping it out rather than using a tweezer is advisable if you have a wriggly pet as tweezers can squeeze out more venom. We are more than happy to do this for you if you need help. As bee stings are acidic you can bathe the area with water and bicarbonate of soda mixture. An ice pack can then be applied to give some pain and swelling relief. Then monitor for 24 hours to make sure an allergic doesn’t subsequently occur..

What about wasps?

Thankfully wasps don't leave the stinger in the skin so you don’t need to search for one to remove. Wasp stings are alkaline so the affected area should be bathed with vinegar or lemon juice to neutralise the sting and reduce pain and an ice pack can again help reduce pain and swelling. Again you should monitor for 24 hours to make sure an allergic reaction doesn’t occur.

Back Forward Home Print Close

Please wait... loading