Skip to main content

Sub navigation

Autumnal dangers

With autumn now upon us we would like to warn you about the dangers that are relevant to the season, in our gardens and on country walks and parks. It only takes our pets to eat the wrong type of plants or autumn leaves, seeds and fruits for them to become seriously ill.
Most pets, especially young animals, are eager to explore new things, but sometimes they accidentally swallow objects. Eating parts of certain plants can cause sickness, but owners need to be aware that consuming large amounts can prove fatal
Be vigilant when your dogs are investigating while out on walks and remember that dangers can be present in their garden as well.
Always check before putting new or unusual plants in your garden to ensure they are not toxic to pets.
There are many poisonous plants, but at this time of year pet owners should be particularly aware of the following seasonal dangers:

Acorns

Acorns are highly toxic for pets and can easily be eaten. They are most dangerous before they ripen, when they are still green. Signs of acorn poisoning can include:
Constipation followed by diarrhoea
Urinary problems
Swelling of the legs

Conkers

The conkers, bark, leaves and flowers of Horse Chestnut trees are all poisonous to pets. Conkers is less dangerous than acorns, but if consumed in large amounts can be fatal. Signs of poisoning usually appear within one to six hours. They include:
Vomiting and diarrhoea
Abdominal pain
Excessive drinking
Excess saliva
Loss of appetite
Paralysis
Difficulty breathing

Yew

Yew trees, which are commonly found in churchyards, are extremely toxic to pets. Every part of the tree is poisonous and eating just a handful of the leaves can be fatal. Signs of poisoning are usually seen within two hours and include:
Sickness and diarrhoea
Excessive salivation
Dilated pupils
Trembling and convulsions

Breathing problems

Cyclamen

The roots of this seasonal flowering plant are especially dangerous to pets. If ingested, cyclamen can cause severe vomiting and even death.


Many people are reporting an increase in slugs in the garden and are rightly concerned about the risk of lungworm in dogs that eat slugs, so if you are considering getting slug pellets this is really important!
Metaldehyde is the problem ingredient in some slug baits and any amount can be toxic.  Signs are:
Unsteady on their legs,
Excessive salivation
Trembling and convulsions
Signs of poisoning develop quickly so urgent treatment is needed.


AVOID PRODUCTS CONTAINING METALDEHYDE IF YOU HAVE PETS

Lilies

Cats are particularly sensitive to plants of the Lilium species, including Easter, Stargazer, Tiger and Asiatic lilies. All parts of a lily are toxic, even the flowers and pollen (which can be groomed off its coat if the cat brushes past the flowers). Less than one leaf ingested by a cat can cause kidney failure.

Signs to look for are:
Prolonged vomiting, not eating and depression.
Urgent veterinary treatment is required.

Seasonal canine Illness

Although not reported in our area at present, it is important to be aware of this condition if you are taking dogs to the Sherwood forest, New Forest, and other areas that have had known problems. Please have a read here   for full details if you and your dog travel to woodland areas.


CHECK FLOWER LABELS FOR WARNINGS OF TOXICITY TO ANIMALS

If you have any concerns at all- please contact us sooner rather than later- we have access to a huge poisons database.

Back Forward Home Print Close

Please wait... loading